[WEB4LIB] RE: FW: LJ: ALA Prez-Elect Gorman on the

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Fri Feb 25 09:23:05 EST 2005

What bothers me most about Gorman's article is the tone of disdain.
Librarians are supposed to promote reading and learning and to help
people get excited about doing research and enjoying texts that take
time and effort. To have the president of the association react to the
unlearned (in his view) with snide remarks is not good for the
profession. You don't encourage anyone to read by calling them names and
treating them as inferior.

In a sense, I agree with Gorman's view of blogs -- I don't see them as
being the same as news articles from newspapers or magazines, and
definitely not the same as a scholarly treatise. I'd like to be able to
filter them out of any searches I do on the net when I'm looking for
something more substantial. I don't have time to read them, and
definitely don't have time to write one. He could have said all that
without insulting anyone.

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net