[WEB4LIB] link resolver server - purchase or in-house?

Athena Hoeppner athena at mail.ucf.edu
Thu Feb 24 15:29:01 EST 2005

Hi,

I see that you already had replies about O-Links and Journal Finder.

You might also want to contact Kevin Stranack, kstranac at sfu.ca. about
GODOT/CUFTS.

I believe that GetCopy/Balsa was written in-house at EDINA.  I have Tim
R Stickland T.R.Stickland at ed.ac.uk as the contact for GetCopy.

TCLinker was also developed in-house.  I don't have contact info for
it.

Athena

Athena Hoeppner
Electronic Resources Librarian
athena at mail.ucf.edu    (407)823-5049

>>> Kwangsoo Han <kwangsoohan at mail.und.nodak.edu> 24/Feb/05 12:15 >>>
This topic might have been discussed before, but I really would like to
hear your experiences.

These days a few companies offer a link resolver system based on
'openURL.'
Has anyone set up and managed your own production-level 'link resolver
server' in your library rather than purchasing?
I remember I have read a magazine article saying that it is easy to do
that because of the flexibility and easiness of 'openURL', but I wonder
HOW EASY it would be.

I encountered an open-source openURL resolver called 'OLinks'
(http://olinks.sourceforge.net/). Has anybody have experience with
that?

Thanks a lot,

Kwangsoo