[WEB4LIB] Re: Citation creation code?

Erwin, Patricia J. erwin.patricia at mayo.edu
Thu Feb 24 11:46:53 EST 2005

Amen. There are a number of studies in the medical literature than have found an error rate of 15-25% in the bibliographies of peer-reviewed articles in prestigious journals.  I have noticed many publishers are requiring the first and last page of each cited reference to be attached to the manuscript.

Many years ago, I spent 3 blasphemous months verifying references for a book, many of which were incorrect, incomplete or just plain wrong.  Most of the references came from other published work.

And as Elizabeth mentions, this doesn't touch on casual plagiarism by scholars who are aware of what they are doing.

Patricia J. Erwin aka "Pat"
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine Libraries
200 First Street SW
Rochester MN 55905
507.284.4952
erwin.patricia at mayo.edu