[WEB4LIB] Re: Citation creation code?

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Feb 24 11:22:50 EST 2005

> -- Commencing Rant
> Regarding citations themselves...ahh, the fun territory that is
> citations. I've often found that from experience and stories related
> from teachers/library staff that students do not have the necessary
> information to cite properly...they love to photocopy articles and pages
> from books...they almost always forget to copy/write down the
> publication information (they do notice at 2am the night before that
> they do not have this information). Once they discover they do not have
> the info they seem to make one of the following decisions: 1. Fake the
> citation; 2. Attribute the information to another source they do have
> documentation for; 3. Look up another source and attribute to that; 4.
> Omit any type of citation whatsoever.
> -- End Rant

You mean... this is wrong? (JUST KIDDING ;> ) When I was a grad assistant in
a graduate library, 11th-hour citation verifications were a matter of course
(almost wrote "curse," which would be apropos). As I work on a long piece
with historical background, I feel myself slipping in citationland myself.

The Internet has made it easier to find citations, and also to find
plagiarists. One thing that intrigues me about Google Print is the ability
to track a citation from an older work.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com