[WEB4LIB] Looking for Internet Website Reference Sources

Beatrice Pulliam bpulliam at postoffice.providence.edu
Wed Feb 16 19:21:03 EST 2005

Sarah,

I'm unloading alot of what I remember from my Collection Development
class last year. :-)  These are all academic library leaning...

If you want an all-in-one-place look, I'd probably start with the Best
of Website supplement published by Choice every year.  Here's the actual
title:

Choice. Special supplement : current [web] reviews for academic libraries

Also, College & Research Libraries News has an Internet Resources Column
that looks at new resources by topic.  Here's an index here, but it
might be better to just do the literature search in a database:

http://www.ala.org/ala/acrl/acrlpubs/crlnews/internetresources.htm

ACRL also has a Core List for its Women's Studies Section WSS.  I think
the ACRL list is all books, but you may find more if you go to the WS
site of the library that's hosting it:
http://www.library.wisc.edu/libraries/WomensStudies/

It looks like they check the links regularly.

I was going to recommend Internet Scout, but I haven't used it in a
while and the page isn't coming up.  You may also have some luck with:

Infomine
http://infomine.ucr.edu/

Bubl
http://bubl.ac.uk/link/

Lastly, I'd also look at some of the larger libraries in the US:
Columbia,  I'd look at some of the collection development literature.
There's bound to be some special issue type stuff out there on e-resources.

Good luck.

Beatrice Pulliam

--

Beatrice R. Pulliam
Reference Librarian and Assistant Professor