[WEB4LIB] Floppy Disk is Not Accessible, Not Formatted, or Not Recognized by Windows

Kwangsoo Han kwangsoohan at mail.und.nodak.edu
Wed Feb 16 17:45:17 EST 2005

That's exactly the same problem we have had in our library.
We spent quite a lot of time figuring out the problem, but failed. We had a
couple of possible/suspicious causes: [1] floppy drives themselves on our
new computers do not function properly. [2]floppy disks are simply
vulnerable to physical damages. But, nothing led to a real solution to
prevent the symptom.
So, what we did is to simply try to recover files on a failed diskette using
a recovery software such as 'PC Inspector File Recovery,'  and to encourage
people use a flash drive which is much more stable and has more storage
capacity.

Wish there is a better solution.

Kwangsoo Han
Web Services Librarian