[WEB4LIB] Re: Firefox revolution over?

Mark J. Ludwig uldmjl at buffalo.edu
Wed Feb 16 14:36:49 EST 2005

Firefox looks cooler than IE and I think most people will go for it
simply on aesthetics.
Firefox fails to render XML with a stylesheet like IE does,
and we have several applications written in
Javascript/vbscript/asp (not by our choice) that Firefox
displays with unclickable buttons.
In side by side comparisons, Firefox randomly fails
to display things that are rendered OK by IE. Often the
Firefox user would not miss them. For example, one website
offered a plugin service for date and time, but you only see the
date in Firefox without the time.
I have heard Mac and Firefox users reply: "what button?"
"Write once, run anywhere", once the mantra of the web, is
now a cynical joke.
I've been adding code to redirect Mozilla browsers away from
incompatabilities, so users will not be confused by what they are missing,
but will know they must use IE to play.
OK, you can flame me now.

Mark J. Ludwig
Library Systems Manager