library marketing (long, but with an on-topic point)

William Melody w-melody at northwestern.edu
Tue Feb 15 12:51:47 EST 2005

>Well, call me old fashioned, but I ask my patrons. (I don't have
>customers.) How often does Google ask you how they're doing? They don't.
>They're not focused on service, they're focused on revenue.

This is factually wrong.  Google has many advanced systems in place to
learn what customers want.  Some comments on this from Marissa Mayer were
plastered all over the web a month ago:
http://alan.blog-city.com/read/1003011.htm

They are far, far beyond libraries in usability because they are far, far
beyond libraries in developing tools to understand what their users need in
an online service.

>Nothing wrong with popular, but "trendy" is something that bends to the
>whims of people's fancy. "Oh, look, keyword searches that return over
>40,000 hits. Let's all do that!" Is wrong because more is not always
>better. I don't want my patrons saying, "Damn, I've scrolled through 33
>pages of sites and still not found what I need." Trendy is not why
>libraries are here. We are not fashion, we are access to information.

Well, with Google I can type in New York Times and get it as the first
result, but not with most library catalogs.

>We are not Google and Google is already doing the online thing
>better than we can because that's Google's mission and it's all Google
>does. If we try to be Google, then we water down our purpose as
>libraries.

I'll have to strongly disagree, and I think Ross Singer and the others
involved with the WAG the Dog project are 100% on the right
track.  Integrating library services with other online services is vitally
important.

At 11:02 AM 2/15/2005, Karen A. Coombs wrote:
>Not all library's have staff that
>possess these abilities which puts them at a certain disadvantages when
>trying to create more ubiquitous and integrated services.

That may be so, but I've also seen and heard about a lot of wasted talent
in the staff when they aren't in organizations with a culture of participation.

That's actually probably the chief thing libraries need to focus on:
developing a culture of participation, focused both on staff and patron
participation, and technological innovation.  It's actually pretty
mind-blowing that the community as a whole hasn't adopted it as a
priority.  The future (heck, current) academic library is largely a web
application from the POV of users.  Without internal innovation, libraries
will fail in their primary duties.

Sunday's NYTimes article on info literacy prompted me to write a long post
on this subject:
  http://bibliotheke.org/archives/2005/02/15/nytimes-on-lack-of-info-literacy-in-info-age/

William Melody
Interlibrary Loan