[WEB4LIB] Re: library marketing was RE: Google Mail

Stephen Ball sdball at email.unc.edu
Tue Feb 15 11:20:00 EST 2005

"Why is it that sites with ISBNs have links to Amazon or Barnes and
Noble and Powell's, but never to your public library?  Certainly there
are a kickbacks, but not in every case."

Because the book stores provide a single, unique access point. If I
could go to one site and link an ISBN to my local library, then I
certainly would. The big problem with public libraries is that there are
so many of them...and they all operate almost completely independently
from each other. Sure it's not as bad as it once was, when every library
had its own card catalog and data entry was repeated by every
institution. But while that particular problem has been solved,
libraries are still too seperate in most respects. It's the unification
of the book store chains (indeed, store chains in general) that give
them their marketing power. Starbucks has proven that even "trendy" can
be condensed into a set of rules for nationwide distribution.

Libraries need to learn how to replicate some of the keys that led to
this success. Libraries amazingly linked card catalogs together into a
(more) unified bibiographic database, they now need to unify everything
else. Library loans should be trival and commonplace, services should be
consistent and reliable, patron contact points should be the same for
every library. McDonald's proved that you can get by with mediocre food
and service as long as it is the same mediocre food and service
everywhere. When people are able to think about their library and know
that it will provide a certain set of definite services and resources
with a consistent way to access those services, then they will be more
comfortable using them.

As it stands now, libraries are simply intimidating to the public at
large or at least certainly not as welcoming as their local bookstore.

- Stephen Ball

---
Stephen Ball
Reserves Processor