[WEB4LIB] re: web services (was: Re: library marketing was RE: Google

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Tue Feb 15 09:31:49 EST 2005

> Speaking of Amazon APIs, what Web Services are out there for library
> OPACs and sites?

I'd expect very few, if any.  And I don't see that changing.

> Recently, we've seen that many advancements in library site
> functionality come from those outside the profession, like Jon
> Udell's Library Lookup, and even Koha. The desire to improve
> functionality for end users is there. Hundreds of developers have
> created functionality for Amazon.com, imagine if we could make it
> easier for them to do the same for us!

If it were easy for the Library, the developer or the end user to improve
functionality, then the vendor couldn't charge us an obscene amount of money
for every minimally useful module they develop.  Unlike Amazon, ILS vendors
don't seem to want to empower their customers.

It's amazing the hoops we've had to jump through to make our system
functional in the way we want and need it to be.

- Darryl

  Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst    Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
  Education & Research Technology Services,     http://gollum.usask.ca/
  Information Technology Services Division,
  University of Saskatchewan