[Web4lib] Re: Library Elf reveals user info (John Marquette)

Johann Schmidt johann_schmidt01 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 29 13:45:48 EST 2005

"Is Elf affected by the US Patriot Act?  [ Top ]

    We don't think so. We are based in Vancouver, BC
Canada and it's our understanding that the US Patriot
Act does not apply here. Furthermore, our privacy
policy states that we will not share any information
unless ordered to by a government court order (which,
in our case, would be the Canadian government)." [from
Library Elf's web page -
http://www.libraryelf.com/FAQ.aspx#pa, viewed
12/29/05}

The European Union has a strong data protection law
which demands "opt-in" to data services (including
personal information) rather than the usual US
"opt-out" collected when signing up for a "free"
service.  US residents have come to be used to
clicking through to get to the "I agree" or "I accept"
button so they can receive gratification.  US
libraries should hold themselves to a higher standard.

If patrons want to use a product like Library Elf, may
I recommend that it be a service of the Friends of the
Library with a second scanner outside the doors of the
library and with appropriate disclaimers?  Given what
we've been hearing about data being tracked as it
crosses international boundaries and Library Elf's
naiveté regarding their need to adhere to this
country's laws, our libraries should maintain an
absolute firewall between its data collection
requirements and any non-government-ordered
organization in order to protect the public.

Ultimately, it sounds like a sordid discussion of a
reference question.  And I'm surprised that librarians
were schnookered into using the service.

"Keeping tabs on your library material?  In Berkeley?"

John Marquette
I speak for myself, not my employer.