[Web4lib] Library Elf reveals user info

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu Dec 29 13:08:45 EST 2005

>>So can anyone think of any reason that we should mess with LE?  I
>>can't, but am willing to listen.  I realize that some might prefer RSS
>>feeds to email, but.....

JF> they don't have to be mutually exclusive.  Give the patron the option
JF> of receiving the content from the web site, as an RSS feed, or via
JF> email (or all of the above).

As noted, I can understand some preferring RSS....but considering all
of the other priorities that most of us have, this one doesn't seem
very high.  I could rattle off a dozen higher priority items
immediately.

I believe that anyone who has RSS has email, thus they can get it that
way with little or no inconvenience.  Even those of us with RSS feeds
still check email, don't we?  Yes, I suppose there is SOMEONE who
doesn't, but that isn't my problem.

Our students and staff all have a campus email address.  Anyone who
doesn't check it at least a couple times a week is really nuts.  You
will get emails about deadlines for registration, paying bills,
renewing your parking permit for next year (probably the most importan
of all emails), changes in paydays, etc.  And of course there are the
emails from your professor or your boss.  Many students set their
campus address to forward to their hotmail, msn, gmail, etc...and
that's fine, since they have one less place to check mail.

Again, I'm not opposed to providing this...I just don't see it as much
of a priority if one has an ILS that provides the kind of information
we do to all of our patrons.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA