[Web4lib] policies/practices for archiving old web files?

Reiten, Beth beth.reiten at okstate.edu
Mon Dec 19 13:53:58 EST 2005

Nina -

I actually just finished running this month's archive, so you caught me
thinking about this.

We don't do an online archive at the OSU Library; instead, I burn the
site (actually the mirror drive where we edit the files) to CD once a
month.  I keep a copy of these disks at my desk, and about once a year I
make copies of the disks and deposit them into our University Archives
like any other library publication.

I find I need to root through at least one disk about once a month,
depending on when there are questions about something that isn't on the
site any more or has changed.  I seem to be the only person who ever
prompts a dig through the disks, but occasionally someone else comes and
asks about it.

I started this archiving project about five years ago when I realized
that the first 3-4 years of our web site had been lost.  The earliest
version that can be found at the Internet Wayback Machine is from 1999.

I don't know if this answers your questions or not.  If not, please let
me know!

*Please note my new email address*
Beth Reiten, Asst. Professor & Librarian
Digital Library Services
Edmon Low Library
Oklahoma State University
Phone: 405-744-9109