[Web4lib] AJAX on library websites?

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 12:20:02 EST 2005

I think it's a matter of preference.  I've used auto-fill ins since playing
with the console of a Control Data 6500 in the 1970s and I am used to them.
Some people like the real-time spell check offered by MS-Word; I love it.
Others hate it, preferring a batch spell-check after a period of editing.

Auto-fill ins can get in the way -- IE likes to cache both detailed URLs as
well as the home page for a site, and I find it slows me down when I just
want the friggin' home page for the Washington Post.

My point is that such features are not unalloyed goodness.  I will ask the
head of the disabilities center at Michigan State, who uses a screen reader
for the blind, to see how a few of these cool AJAX apps work for him.

/rich