[Web4lib] Nature copyright clause (was Wikipedia vs. Britannica)

V. Chris & Tom Tinney, Sr. vctinney at dcn.org
Sun Dec 18 09:56:21 EST 2005

Jeremy Dunck wrote:

>Many web sites have licenses which try to imply consent, including Nature:
>"In accessing this Web Site, you agree that the Web Site is made
>available for your personal, non-commercial use only."

What is "personal, noncommercial use"?
Each individual has their own point of observation,
judgment and reasoning.  Personal interest includes
communication, and for any agency to suggest that
appropriate fair use copyright law does not exist,
(by stating that the uploaded, publicly posted material
on sites cannot be transmitted or distributed without
prior permission), is an impermissible restriction
on personal free speech and written communication,
in my opinion.  Thanks to all for the comments.

Respectfully yours,

Tom Tinney, Sr.
Who's Who in America, Millennium Edition [54th] - 2004
Who's Who In Genealogy and Heraldry, {both editions]
Genealogy and Family History Internet Web Directory
http://www.academic-genealogy.com/