[Web4lib] Wikipedia vs Britannica

Alain D. M. G. Vaillancourt ndgmtlcd at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 18 03:02:56 EST 2005

Hello!

I would like to add to Lars Aronsson's excellent remarks that it is
also good to keep away from "popular" controversial topics completely
if you want to participate in Wikipedia and nearly completely avoid
revert wars, cabals, zealots, clueless nuisances and the like.  I've
done this for more than two years now, and on the whole I've managed to
keep sane and get a certain satisfaction from spreading knowledge and
also doing some knowledge organisation and (primitive) metadata
structuring.

However even non-controversial articles can sometimes fall prey to
disheartening (for those who care about what they wrote or corrected or
reorganized)and constant vandalism.  To give but one example: It would
seem (or so the regulars surmise) that the very non-controversial
"Industrial revolution article" has been assigned as a class (or a
multi class) exercise in a school with good Web access, somewhere.  As
a result we have been recently getting swarms of infantile vandalism (
Jason is a -expletive deleted-)(our teacher Miss -name X- is a
-expletive deleted-) on the article, at more or less regular intervals.

In a way though, this is less disheartening than the constant influx of
newbies who are sure that everything they read on the Web is true, more
or less, (when it comes close to their personal view usually) and who
won't bother to go to the library to check what they or others are
writing up or tearing down.  Those clueless nuisances eventually go
away, but still more come up after them.  It wears people down in the
end.

The neatest trick is to write articles which are so encyclopaedic and
obscure (I've done several dozen in this vein) that they will never be
chosen as a "featured article" on the front page of Wikipedia or if
they are very few people will understand them.  When a good but
relatively general non-Science article is featured then clueless
nuisances swarm to it to add their little grain of salt, or
re-structure it.  If a team of editors who hold that subject dear is
not ready to work constantly to shoo them away this relatively good
featured article becomes gradually bloated, disorganized, ill-written.
I've seen it happen many times over the last two years.

Alain Vaillancourt