[Web4lib] AJAX on library websites?

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 11:49:17 EST 2005

I think the Wisconsin people search application is way cool, but any change
in interfaces to make them more interactive may have unintended
consequences, especially w/r/t accessibility.  One advantage is that the
Wisconsin system quickly zones in on faiirly unique names, while also giving
immediate feedback that you've typed enough letters to avoid the "too many
hits" snare for popular names.  Try "smith, j" for example.

The Ga Tech journals search is also interesting.  Again, I wonder if there
are usability implications.  For instance, let's say I want to look up the
full text of a recent article in the journal Nature. (As a totally random
example.)   So I go to
http://www.library.gatech.edu/search_locate/electronic_journals.html and I
select Exact Match from the drop-down.  I type the word "Nature"   On screen
I see a drop-down list of a bunch of journals with "nature" in their
titles.  That drop-down obscures the Submit button. I want the exact match
of "Nature" but I see in the drop-down  titles such as "FRACTALS AN
INTERDISCIPLINARY JOURNAL ON THE COMPLEX GEOMETRY OF NATURE"... How is this
an exact match?   What percent of people searching for "Nature" want that
title?

With a traditional, non-interactive search, I'd just click Submit and get my
exact match.

In both cases I think it's valid to ask "What problem are we trying to
solve?" and I think the only way to answer whether it's an improvement is to
do controlled usability testing where you assign specific tasks to testers
and measure which interface works best for the most people.   And you have
to ask if it works at all for blind people using screen readers.

/rich

PS -- everyone calls it AJAX now but I first went agog over its
implementation in Gmail in April, 2004.  Does anyone know of a major
previous example?