FW: [Web4lib] AJAX on library websites?

Gimon, Charles A CAGimon at mplib.org
Sat Dec 17 11:37:48 EST 2005

Thinking about it, yes. There's the two sides to it: the javascript/DHTML side, and using XML data sources on the other side. I'm willing to bet that a lot of people out there are already doing ajax-ish stuff without realizing it, probably since before "ajax" became a marketing buzzword for the combo.

Javascript/DHTML: Yes, as others are saying, accessability is an issue. My hunch is that there can be clever workarounds for the visually impaired (maybe audio cues when something changes dynamically in a page). I'm more worried about people using browsers where somebody has disabled javascript entirely because "that will block pop-ups"--we hear of this happening from time to time. I doubt we'd ever use this for primary navigation, for example.

XML: Wouldn't it be great if all OPACs offered XML interfaces, standard? If your OPAC doesn't, you'll be exporting records out of it, or you'll be using ajax-style things with your other services, maybe a with a separate database that holds a digitized image collection, or something offsite.

If you're looking for an easy, no-charge XML data feed to play with, the Weather Channel has a free resource you can sign up for:

http://www.weather.com/services/xmloap.html

Might be kind of corny to put it right on your home page, but could be the foundation of a nice weather widget for Intranet use.

So here's my follow-up question: what offsite XML-based sources are people thinking about using (aside from RSS feeds)? Is anyone thinking about paying for stock quotes, for example?

--Charles Gimon
  Web Coordinator
  Minneapolis Public Library