[Web4lib] Flash applications on library websites

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Fri Dec 16 23:35:14 EST 2005

Amy M Ostrom wrote:
> Dear Web4libbers:
>
> I am considering the use of Flash (in an accessible manner, mind you) to
> enhance the library website somehow.  I am curious if any other
> libraries are currently using Flash for either interface (not just
> moving logos, maybe a comprehensive navigation system) or learning
> objects so I can get a feel for the kind of applications/designs that
> are being used.  Please feel free to email me directly.  Thank you very
> much!

I'm not sure why you would want to use Flash for interface design --
especially when the alternatives are so attractive and probably just as
interactive.

I'd say the best and most extensive use of Flash nowadays is either to
deliver short video clips (say, in a banner ad) or for product demos.
In fact, it's probably used for these purposes so extensively and on so
many sites that most people, even on this list, no longer realize it's
Flash.

If you think you'll ever have a couple of short video clips or something
approaching a product demo, that's where you might get the most bang for
your buck out of Flash.

Just to give you one example, I've got a professor who wants to sync
some audio to a number of slides -- basically to re-create a
presentation she gave at a conference.  What I'll put together will
ultimately look something like this:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/productinfo/features/

In any case, if you don't get much response on this list, probably the
best thing to do is go to the Macromedia Flash site and check out a few
of their examples and then ask yourself, what if I had a library or
instructional goal, how would I go about it and what would it look like
-- using this technology.

LEO

Leo Robert Klein
www.leoklein.com