[Web4lib] Subscriber Removal Clarification

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Fri Dec 16 13:02:39 EST 2005

The Web4Lib Advisory Board and I have been asked privately to explain
our actions. Rather than doing this multiple times to individuals, we
wish to do this once and make it part of the public record.

The facts are these.

Some years ago, Chuck Munson violated this Web4Lib Posting Policy:

"Personal attacks such as name calling and personal insults will not
be tolerated. Comments that are intended only to enrage the recipient
rather than contribute to thoughtful discussion are prohibited."

He was formally warned that further infractions of that same policy
would result in his removal from the discussion. He then violated
that same policy again and was removed from the discussion (see
<http://lists.webjunction.org/wjlists/web4lib/1999-March/004882.html>).

Recently he quietly rejoined the discussion without requesting to be
reinstated. Shortly thereafter he violated the very same policy
again, in an egregious and gratuitous manner, at which point I
removed him from the discussion again (see <http://
lists.webjunction.org/wjlists/web4lib/2005-December/039336.html> for
the message in question and <http://lists.webjunction.org/wjlists/
web4lib/2005-December/039345.html> for the removal notice).

Those are the facts.

Since the list began in 1994, only three individuals have ever been
sanctioned in this way. We do not use this sanction lightly, but we
will not hesitate to use it if it is required to protect the ability
of all Web4Lib subscribers to voice their views while being treated
in a civil manner.

This is about _behavior_, not his opinions or views. Frankly, we
don't care what he says so long as it adheres to the policies of this
discussion, which have been crafted over time in response to real
situations to create a place on the Internet for civil discourse
about issues important to libraries and librarians on the web. If we
don't have that, we have nothing at all.

As always, thank you for your cooperation in making this a great
place to discuss the web and libraries.

Roy Tennant, List Owner

Web4Lib Advisory Board:
Thomas Dowling