[Web4lib] Nature copyright clause (was Wikipedia vs. Britannica)

Walt.Crawford at rlg.org Walt.Crawford at rlg.org
Fri Dec 16 11:23:14 EST 2005

If a license is enforceable as a contract (which not all licenses are), it
can do damn near anything.

But that has to be a license that you agree to before you see the work, not
simply a statement that appears on a site. If you click on "I agree" before
getting to the work, you're potentially in EULA land (End User License
Agreement)

You might be thinking of Creative Commons licenses, which are in a
different realm: They can indeed only grant you rights in addition to those
provided under copyright law. You don't click through a CC license to get
to material--and the whole point of CC is to modify standard copyright
provisions in a legal and clear manner. (Thus, for example, my weblog and
ejournal both operate under the most common CC license: You can reproduce
any part or all of them as often as you want with or without notification,
as long as (a) you credit the original and (b) you're not selling the
reproductions.)

But then, Mike, you're in the UK, so the laws may be different. They're
*certainly* different for fair use!

Walt Crawford
wcc at rlg.org, 650-691-2227
Typically reachable: