[Web4lib] Subscriber Removal

Norma Hewlett hewlett at usfca.edu
Thu Dec 15 22:54:59 EST 2005

My understanding is that Chuck has done this before, and been asked to
leave the list before. A single use of the "fword" is not the problem,.
The problem is that he has posted inappropriate messages, been asked to
follow the list guidelines, and has declined.

Yes, others have violated list guidelines in the past. That's why there
are guidelines, they evolved in response to need. It takes more than a
single incident to get somebody taken off the list.

I've seen several lists destroyed by a couple of people who descend to
off-topic personal attacks, and I really appreciate the way Roy and the
board enforce the guidelines on Web4lib. That's one of the main reasons
it has remained such a useful list for so many years. It goes without
saying that anybody who prefers a different style of discussion or a
different set of discussion topics is welcome to start their own list.

Jean Hewlett
Regional Librarian
University of San Francisco