[Web4lib] simple (web?) app for organizing electronic resources?

Else Paeglis else.paeglis at oceaniamed.org
Thu Dec 15 18:26:13 EST 2005

Hi Ken,

I like KOHA as a catalogue option for a mixed collection of materials (ie
hard copies of locally held books, journals, multimedia titles and some
external resources such as online journals and web sites)

iVia is a very powerful piece of open source software for creating web
portals and includes a robot that can scour the net for sites meeting your
criteria, therefore allowing for a larger collection of web sites than a
human generated portal alone could do. However the IT guys here found it
very complex to install and manage.

We decided to go with the Scout Portal Toolkit
http://scout.wisc.edu/Projects/SPT/ for the medical elibrary I'm currently
setting up (also opensource). (The site is not on a public server yet). We
found this the best choice for us to create our web portal - collection of
links to external web resources. The administrator can set up categories of
users who can make various changes to the database, including adding
entries, reviewing entries etc

Greenstone digital library software is yet another opensource
http://www.greenstone.org/cgi-bin/library option, great if you want to index
an internal collection of digital items (eg media files, pdfs etc)

Hope this helps,
Else Paeglis
Medical eLibrarian
Medical Education Services Australia