[Web4lib] Wikipedia vs Britannica

V. Chris & Tom Tinney, Sr. vctinney at dcn.org
Thu Dec 15 17:41:54 EST 2005

Roy Tennant wrote:

> At the risk of dragging out the Discussion That Will Never End yet
> further, I feel I must respond to the comment that perhaps Nature
> wants us to broadcast the full-text of their articles to whatever
> mailing list we choose. Their policy at <http://www.nature.com/common/
> legal_notice.html> states
>
> "Unless you have Macmillan's prior written permission, you are not
> permitted to copy, broadcast, make available to the public, download,
> store (in any medium), transmit, show or play in public, adapt or
> change in any way the material (or any part of it) contained on this
> Web Site for any purpose whatsoever."

Before this all ends, may I ask a question from those in the Know.
It seems to me that the statement made above, contains an item
that is in direct conflict with the concept of "Fair Use" in copyright;
namely, "transmit, show or play in public, adapt or change in
any way the material (or any part of it)" . . .

I take strong issue with the item, " (or any part of it)".  I have
noted on various web sites or publications, the suggestion
that NO material can be conveyed, including links, without
PRIOR approval of the web or publication administrators.
In my mind, this completely eviscerates the concept of "Fair
Use", in discussions either public or private.

Can I please have an intelligent legal response to this
particular item of interest to me?  Does this fall into
a category of falsely implied illegal threats from
organizations that post it, or some form thereof,
contrary to the real intent of legal and lawful fair
use in Copyright Law?

Respectfully yours,

Tom Tinney, Sr.
Who's Who in America, Millennium Edition [54th] - 2004
Who's Who In Genealogy and Heraldry, {both editions]
Genealogy and Family History Internet Web Directory
http://www.academic-genealogy.com/