[Web4lib] Wikipedia vs Britannica

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Thu Dec 15 16:18:30 EST 2005

Here is another example of where something like what Chuck describes has
happened.

<http://www.wikipedia-watch.org/>

Other related examples. NOTE: I am not saying these items should be there,
just that this is a topic to consider. The banned pages I stumbled on
duplicated content elsewhere in Wikipedia, which seemed fair to me.

<http://www.cadenhead.org/workbench/news/2818>

<http://www.seanbonner.com/blog/archives/001944.php>

And the flip side:

Vandals, Administrators, and Sockpuppets, Oh My! An Ethnographic Study of
Wikipedia's Handling of Problem Behavior / Michael Lorenzen
<http://www.michaellorenzen.com/wikipedia.html>

So, real, but no real idea how common. One source suggests these are
normal growing pains and will be corrected by folks like us making people
aware of them and working to correct them.

-- Patricia Anderson, pfa at umich.edu