[Web4lib] Wikipedia vs Britannica

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Dec 15 16:11:52 EST 2005

Drew, Bill wrote:
> I did not realize that was happening.  I did not mean to put you on the
> spot.

That's okay. I've experienced worse.

I would like to see my librarian colleagues be more critical of
Wikipedia. I like Wikipedia as much as the next person, but it has some
serious problems that aren't helped by Wikipedia worship and recitation
of phrases about "damage being self-corrected."

On of these problems if defamation of people. I've experienced this on
Wikipedia, but can't go into details at this time because defamation
kind of involves false stuff being said about a person.

Wikipedia is going to have more headaches on its hands if Jimbo and the
Wikipedians don't implement changes. They simply can't get away with the
stance that Wikipedia is "beta." Wikipedia is a prominent Internet
resource whose contents are prominently featured in any search engine
search. There will be a growing number of people who won't be happy that
Wikipedia hosts false or private information about them.

Wikipedia can address this problem by giving subjects the final say
about what goes into entries about them. If somebody posts my phone
number or home address in a Wikipedia entry about me, I have a
reasonable expectation that the information be removed if I ask.

Then there is the bigger problem with "accuracy" and "authority." I
think that we librarians need to chill a bit about the accuracy problem
with Wikipedia. After all, we've been steering people to websites for
years which have inaccurate information. We know about reference tools
that are filled with bad information. I have a copy of "The Oxford
Companion to the Politics of the World" which contains a mostly wrong
entry about my political persuasion. This is a regular reference tool
with heft--I could probably press tofu with it.

My suggestion for Wikipedia's "authority" problem would entail creating
teams of volunteers for subject areas. The members of these teams would
have to show that they know a few things about a subject--they don't
have to be an academic, of course. Rotate the membership of the teams on
an annual basis. Give the teams the ability to resolve disputes and
"freeze" entries. They could do much more, but you get my basic idea.

Chuck