[Web4lib] Thanks for PDF extraction help

Robert Sullivan robert.g.sullivan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 13:56:37 EST 2005

Wow, what a response!  It will take me a while to try all the possibilities. :-)

To answer some of the questions... I do have Acrobat Standard 7 and
thought it might have this capability, but haven't used it.  We also
have Photoshop (a couple of versions out of date) and a current
version of Photoshop Elements, so it was good to see that mentioned.

Even if the full Acrobat could do it, I wasn't sure if that would give
me the highest quality image, just as getting decent images out of a
PowerPoint presentation (which I had to do earlier this year) was kind
of clunky prior to the 2003 edition.

I am also not sure if the final images will go back into a PDF file or
a multipage TIFF or what, as the files - which could stand to be
cropped considerably - are generally from 2 to 5 MB with a range of
1.2 to 7.6.  They might have to be split into separate pages to make
them usable online.

It would be good if they would OCR nicely, but it's an odd lot of
typeset newsletters, mimeographed pamphlets and some newspapers, so I
will be happy just to get a good browsing image out of it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

--
Bob Sullivan
Schenectady Digital History Archive