[Web4lib] Wikipedia vs Britannica

Walt.Crawford at rlg.org Walt.Crawford at rlg.org
Thu Dec 15 13:17:25 EST 2005

Sorry, ChuckO, but as far as I'm concerned, you're still extremist--and
directly damaging efforts to achieve a reasonable balance in copyright,
unlike Creative Commons and other efforts to achieve such a balance.

Open access journals and open source software have nothing to do with
opposing copyright as a whole.

GPL ***depends*** on copyright for its force. So do all but one flavor of
Creative Commons license.

You say it right in your signature: You're against copyright. Period.
That's your privilege--but saying it's not an extreme stance is ludicrous.

And, frankly, once you've said you're entirely opposed to copyright, you no
longer have any standing to assert what is and isn't fair use. You've
abandoned the field of discussion about nuances of intellectual property,
since you oppose the concept entirely.

Will Nature put Web4Lib out of business because an article was improperly
posted? Probably not.

Does that make it acceptable or proper? Absolutely not, at least not in my
opinion.

[Not particularly incidentally, most copyright holders are not wealthy,
although that's sure a convenient battle-cry.]

[Yes, all of this is directly relevant to the web and libraries...]

Walt Crawford
wcc at rlg.org, 650-691-2227