[Web4lib] Extracting images from PDF?

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Wed Dec 14 16:20:06 EST 2005

Robert Sullivan wrote:
> A local labor organization had some old newsletters scanned and
> presented us with 4 CDs of PDFs, with each issue a separate file.
>
> This would be great, except that they were scanned from a bound volume
> 2 pages at a time, so any given file will contain the last page of the
> previous issue and be missing the last page of the issue named.  This
> portends some amount of patron confusion.
>
> I'm considering trying to take these images apart and reassemble them
> in a more useful way.  We have Acrobat 7, but our graphics staff uses
> it at a fairly low level so they can't help me.  I have found
> references to software which will let you save images form PDFs as
> TIFFs, but I was hoping for some real world experience.
>
> Thanks for any advice on the least painful way to handle this,

Hi Robert,

Do you have a copy of the latest version of Acrobat Professional?  I've
got Acrobat Professional 7 (for MacOS X).  Once you open the PDF file,
you can "Save As" in a number of formats, including JPEG2000, TIF, PNG
and JPG.  Each format also allows a number of optional settings (e.g.
whether to LZW or not to LZW for compression using TIFS).

I'd play around with that and maybe see if you can get what you need
pain-free.

LEO

Leo Robert Klein
www.leoklein.com