[Web4lib] linkr8r persistent link generator

C Lockwood sittingtoolong at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 11:52:01 EST 2005

Here's something I made in hoped that it will make it easier for users to
make "persistent links" from an assortment of common academic databases and
certain flavors of opac.

http://linkr8r.org

prototype

should be self explanatory

Is not anything linke OCLC PURL service or other handle services that store
relay links on a server -less sophisticated code for sure ,it just
spits back a working link after contextually identifiying which sort of
database, on vs. off campus (for ezproxy users),  and cleaning up the link
if it has any session cookies or session cookies  that can possibly be
stripped out. - that inspiration was the "Voyager Canned Search generator."

If we could always trust it would be nicer than the long, drawn out "linking
FAQs" everybody has to write these days.

Im slowing getting more confident about its 'efficacy' - enough to post it
to this list anyway. !
: )

feedback welcome on list or to me, if you want your 'ezproxy' link added to
try, etc ...

C. L.
Digital Librarian
MD