[Web4lib] CM software vs. library cataloging software

Jonathan Gorman jtgorman at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 12 14:43:08 EST 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Carmen Barnett wrote:

> One of the biggest priorities I have in the library I am starting is
> getting my organization's magazine articles searchable on our website,
> and it is not clear to me if a web OPAC or CM would be better. I would
> appreciate any info.

While I probably can't comment much on this issue, there is of course a
third option, which is to use an indexer if the magazine articles are
already in a text or html form.  That being said, I don't know off-hand of
any indexers to recommend.  Many people just point to google with a site:
restriction, but that has plenty of limitations.   A couple of indexing
programs I've heard about htdig, eXist, and swish-e.

Of course, an indexer program doesn't offer the ability to manage content
as a CMS would do.

Jon Gorman