[Web4lib] Libraries, BitTorrent, and OAI

Edward Spodick lbspodic at ust.hk
Tue Dec 6 20:27:30 EST 2005

At 4:46 pm -0500 6/12/05, Drew, Bill wrote:
><http://www.travelinlibrarian.info/index.html> , I have been wondering
>if any libraries are using BitTorrent or any other peer-to-peer network
>software to distribute OAI compliant titles. It would seem to me this

I thought about exploring this, but our campus has tight restrictions on BitTorrent connections.  On-campus housing is especially throttled.  I live on campus, and there are several radio shows and other programs and fioles which I used to get from the U.S. which are now distributed exclusively using BitTorrent seeds and so they are in effect no longer available to me.  I'm sure I could figure out a complex workaround, but I am instead trying to lobby for a policy change - with no success.  And a workaround requirement would certainly not be the thing for any official project.  :)

--
Edward F Spodick, Information Technology Manager
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Library