[Web4lib] Google Book Search on Open Source Radio

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Fri Dec 2 15:23:50 EST 2005

On Monday, December 5, 7 p.m. ET, Open Source Radio will feature a show
about Google Book Search and the Google Library Project. The blurb is here:

http://www.radioopensource.org/google-print/

I (wearing my gadfly librarian blogger hat) am a likely (but not slam-dunk)
participant on that program. If I speak, it will not be on the legal issues
but on the implications Google Book Search will have on libraries.

In the pre-talk interview, some issues that seemed appealing to Open Source
were my comments that libraries were using online resources to meet users
where they already are--using networked information--and that paper books
regardless, libraries have a crucial and vibrant role in tomorrow's society
as information cultural centers, information literacy leaders, content
brokers, gatherers and digitizers of local information, lifelong learning,
literacy, advocacy for intellectual freedom and equitable access--stuff you
and I take for granted, but I realize, outside the borders of LibraryLand,
is often fresh and new to others. I may express my delight/concern over
Google Book Search--delight that it is happening, concern that it happen in
a way that preserves fair use, privacy, and the public information sphere.

Now, of course, I'm not representing librarianship--whatever I say is just
my personal opinion! <mildly wicked grin> That said, what you think matters
a lot, O Ye of the BiblioGooglesphere.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com