[Web4lib] Change in Google search results?

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Aug 26 10:01:47 EDT 2005

I noticed something on Google today that I haven't seen before and was
wondering if this is a new way of presenting results or something I just
haven't noticed before. I ran a search in Google on RIS - I'm looking for
info. on MS's Remote Installation Services. I was lazy and just typed RIS
into my Google search box. As expected, the first couple of results
weren't what I was looking for. But half way down the page, I got an
option of "See results for: microsoft ris" it then listed a few relevent
sites and then returned to the more general "ris" list of sites.

In this particular search, that was a helpful offer. But where did that
come from? And how did it choose the "microsoft ris" subset of search
results to offer to me? Was that due to past searching? MS name placement?
A glitch in the system?

In case you have trouble duplicating the results, the URL for the first
page of results:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=RIS&btnG=Search

Just curious,

Andrew Mutch