[Web4lib] Outside disk usage

Phillip Whitford PWhitford at Braswell-Library.org
Tue Aug 16 15:19:38 EDT 2005

Paranoid is good when it comes to public PCS! You do have to try and
close all the doors to chaos but I think it can be done while still
offering patrons the access and services they want and need. For
example: you can configure your machines via the bios and/or polices
and/or security software  to limit the boot to only the c drive. You can
vlan your public pcs using your network switches, physically segregate
them, put them on different subnets, etc. You can configure your
firewall to restrict or block certain types of outbound network traffic,
or at least warn you if they occur, you limit or monitor bandwidth,
etc., etc., etc.

Short of removing all the pcs I doubt there is anything you can do to
entirely eliminate all the security threats. But you can take reasonable
precautions and obtain a level of security that will let you sleep at
night.

Phillip B. Whitford
Manager Information Technology
Braswell Memorial Library
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my organization.