[Web4lib] Outside disk usage [heur]

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Mon Aug 15 17:17:44 EDT 2005

>>> "Carol Bean" <beanc at pbclibrary.org> 08/15/05 02:21PM >>>
Michele,

We allow (encourage) patrons to bring their own disk to use. If a disk is left in the computer, we put a sticky on the abandoned disk, with date and computer number, and keep it for three months.  Anything older than three months is destroyed.  Of the 50+ disks which have been abandoned in the last six months, >less than 10 have been claimed.  (But they were all very happy to get their disks >back)

We've had much the same experience.  In addition, we are sure that in our computer use policy, we have a line about patrons using at their own risk, we do not take responsibility for lost data due to hardware or software failure, etc.

We had someone leave a 512MB thumb drive with us and never come back for it!  Astonishing.

Louise E. Alcorn     --    Reference Technology Librarian
West Des Moines Public Library
4000 Mills Civic Pkwy
West Des Moines IA 50265
(515) 222-3573      louise.alcorn at wdm-ia.com