[Web4lib] Google stops scanning copyrighted books

Dale Askey daskey at ksu.edu
Mon Aug 15 11:41:11 EDT 2005

Colleagues:

> participants at this discussion, as was Alex MacGillivray of Google. At
> one point, to my astonishment, Michael Keller stated that he considered
> the Google project to digitize library holdings to be a not for profit
> activity. (I don't remember the exact wording, but fortunately there
> will be transcripts made available.) I don't think any publishers would
> see it that way.

Nor would, I suspect, any of Google's major shareholders. This
persistence in some quarters on seeing Google as some sort of corporate
benevolence society never fails to amaze me. Given their market
valuation, they had better extract value from their now
partially-suspended digitizing activities or we'll be able to add Google
to the list of Internet giants that stumbled and fell. They can't just
pour money into a venture for the good of the world without finding a
way to make a buck in the process.

Dale