[Web4lib] Authority files and Wikipedia

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sun Aug 14 09:59:51 EDT 2005

Jeremy Dunck wrote:

> I believe this will do:
> http://www.ddb.de/news/pressemitt_wikipedia.htm

Something strange happens with my Mozilla browser when I try this
URL.  I get bounced back to the page where I was before.

> > The German branch is the 2nd biggest in Wikipedia, surpassed only
> > by the 680,000 articles of the English language Wikipedia.
>
> I've always wondered why that is-- if it is a cultural, technological,
> or random thing.

While I'm one of the strongest supporters of Wikipedia, I think it
could have grown much faster than it has, if some early management
mistakes had been avoided. This applies both to English and the
other language branches.  The random damage it has taken from the
"stumbling in the dark" in the early years is smaller for some
language branches where this has been compensated by a strong and
well organized community.  The Germans were the first to organize
a national chapter as a membership association (wikimedia.de),
which was now the main organizers of this conference.  Already one
year ago, the Wikipedia presence at the Wizards of OS conference
in Berlin worked as a de-facto international Wikipedia meeting.

Add to this that broad Internet penetration came late to Germany.
For example there wasn't much for the dotcom death to reap in
1999/2000, and the backlash wasn't so hard as in California or
Scandinavia.  The German Wikipedia was able to fill much of the
Internet vacuum that existed in the country, and has attracted a
lot of media attention.

Still, while the German language is spoken by 10 times more people
than Swedish, the Germany Wikipedia only has 3 times more articles
than the Swedish one.  In the first two years, the Esperanto
Wikipedia was far larger than the French one.  Such comparisons
suggest the German and French Wikipedia could be much larger if
everything was done right.  And suppose that the Bibliothèque
nationale de France would cooperate with the French Wikipedia
(they do not, as far as I know) in the same way that DDB has
opened up to the German Wikipedia.

The English Wikipedia, on the other hand, has an infinite amount
of English speakers to draw from, not only in English speaking
countries, but many wikipedians in countries like Germany or
Sweden contribute only to the English Wikipedia, especially early
technology adopters who are fluent in English.  At the same time,
there was already a "rich web" in English with sites such as
IMDb.com, Everything2, and DMOZ, with which the English Wikipedia
has had to compete.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)