[Web4lib] Windows 2000 Server warning

Wright, Jen WrightJ at excen.library.phila.gov
Fri Aug 12 13:31:57 EDT 2005

We had three Windows 2000 servers die terrible OS deaths this week.  The
last thing they had done was get the latest Windows update.  We've been on
the phone with Microsoft all day today trying to get the servers to roll
back.  This was made difficult since the OS was what got corrupted.  You
can't run a restore, you can't stop services, you can't do anything that
requires using the MMC.

We are close to restoring our main application server, but it has been a
long week.  I am emailing the group in case anyone else has encountered
similar problems and hadn't connected it to the update and to prevent others
from installing the latest update if they have 2000 machines.

Somehow our network guy found a way to do a partial restore and then restore
again from that point and I think that is our latest solution.

I hope this reaches some of you in time to spare you our suffering. :)

Jennifer R. Wright
Supervisor, Web Development
Free Library of Philadelphia
http://www.library.phila.gov