[Web4lib] The Problem with RSS and Journals

Enrico Silterra es287 at cornell.edu
Wed Aug 10 15:12:11 EDT 2005

David brought up some very good points about problems that do
diminish the value of vendor provided RSS feeds in a university context.

One of them is the appropriate copy problem: Get me the right copy of
an article/item.

This, after all, is the problem that OpenURL is meant to solve.

1) perhaps an individual library could gather up feeds, and re-write
the feed to offer access to material using the appropriate openURL for that
institution.
2) perhaps vendors could be persuaded to publish their feeds in an OpenURL
format.

Another problem is just plain keeping track of RSS feeds. One solution would be
a central database, perhaps with entries maintained by the vendors themselves,
with the ability to fetch changes, and various information about the feeds
as RSS feeds

Just my 2 yoctocents,
Rick Silterra

Enrico Silterra