[Web4lib] how many public access computers?

Michele Haytko michele.haytko at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 13:23:54 EDT 2005

We have 6 computers in our childrens department and 16 computers in
our adult lab.  We are always over capacity and very rarely are we not
full.  We are the county library and have more PCs than any other
library in the surrounding areas.

Hope this helps.
Michele

On 8/10/05, David Walker <dwalker at csusm.edu> wrote:
> This is a tough question, and may depend in part on what other computers
> are available to your users -- particularly for academic libraries.
>
> We recently moved into a new library building and outfitted it with 250+
> computers for about 5,000 FTE students.  That was, by all calculations,
> more than what we needed, given the presence of existing computer labs
> on campus.
>
> What we didn't fully expect was that the library would become the
> destination of choice for students.  Our computers fill-up long before
> the other labs, and even with wireless throughout the building and 100+
> laptops available for checkout, the desktops are packed by 10:00 AM.
>
> I imagine if we added 100 more computers, they would fill-up too.  The
> real challenge for us now is not how many computers to have, but
> ensuring that there are enough free computers for students who want to
> do actual library research.
>
> --Dave
>
> =================
> David Walker
> Web Development Librarian
> Library
> Cal State San Marcos
> 760-750-4379

Mrs. C. Michele Haytko
Montgomery County-
      Norristown Public Library
MC-NPL Gates Computer Lab
1001 Powell Street
Norristown, PA 19401
610-278-5100 Ext. 141

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi