[Web4lib] RSS

Jay Bhatt jaybhatt.bhatt59 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 13:53:56 EDT 2005

Hi all,
library services?",
 I would like to share what we have done at Drexel for our engineering:
 Blog:
Engineering Resources
http://englibrary.blogspot.com
 Math and Sciences Blogs:
http://drexelphysics.blogspot.com
http ://drexelmath.blogspot.com <http://drexelmath.blogspot.com/>
http ://drexelbioscience.blogspot.
com<http://www.library.drexel.edu/services/http%20://drexelbioscience.blogspot.%20com>
Article in our Library Newsletter:
 http://www.library.drexel.edu/news/0602/researchday.html
 "In addition, Jay Bhatt, Engineering Librarian, Peggy Dominy, Sciences
Librarian, and Andrew Wheeler, Engineering Library Assistant, presented a
poster aimed at assisting faculty and students in keeping up-to-date in
their area of research using subject specific blogs, RSS (Real Simple
Syndication/Rich Site Summary) feeds and Listservs. Blogs (a combination of
the words "web" and "logs") and RSS feeds are an informal but valuable means
of communication to keep track of the ever-increasing flow of new
information. A variety of blogs and RSS feeds from different disciplines
such as engineering, physics, and nanotechnology were illustrated. During
the session, a web based service called
Bloglines<http://www.bloglines.com/>was used to show how RSS feeds
from different providers can be set up to
keep up to date in a variety of fields. Many journals such as Nature, Nature
Biotechnology, Nature Materials and those from the Institute of Physics are
utilizing this technology for Table of Contents tracking. A complete listing
of all RSS feeds from Nature titles is available at Nature
Newsfeed<http://npg.nature.com/npg/servlet/Content?data=xml/02_newsfeed.xml&style=xml/02_newsfeed.xsl>.
The use of RSS feeds alleviates the need for researchers to subscribe to
e-mail alerts, since they can view new information that they have chosen via
a single RSS portal. Several faculty members and students stopped by the
booth and saw how Blogs and RSS feeds work and expressed interest in this
new technology as a way of keeping up with the latest developments in their
fields. A copy of the poster may be found at
http://www.library.drexel.edu/archives/misc/drexelblogs36x72.ppt and a copy
of the handout is available at
http://www.library.drexel.edu/archives/misc/blogsposterhandout.doc."
 For our engineering design students working in group and our graduate
students, we show them how to set up RSS feeds from journals table of
contents, (ingenta provides RSS icon of journals that provides feeds), and
also show them how to set up feeds on keyword searching from engineering
village2/INSPEC to keep them uptodate with articles on their search queries.

 Please refer to http://www.bloglines.com/public/bhattjj for examples of
using blogs and feeds for journal article alerts and keyword search alerts
using ei village2 . Look for the folders Ei Copmpendex, electronic journals
and hubmed in the left column. HUBMED; http://www.hubmed.org provides alerts
to searching in Pubmed database.
 Our presentation on integrating RSS feeds into webCT is available from:
*Integrating* *RSS* *feeds* and information blogs in courses usig
*WebCT*<http://showme.physics.drexel.edu/bradley/DrexelCoAS017-JayAtWebCT.ppt>
http://showme.physics.drexel.edu/bradley/DrexelCoAS017-JayAtWebCT.ppt
 This was presented at the Regional webCT conference

*Integrating RSS feeds and informative blogs into courses taught using WebCT

*Jay Bhatt
http://www.drexel.edu/IRT/services/webct/WebCTConf2005/schedule.html
The need for our faculty and students to keep up-to-date with new
information and latest developments in their area of research has always
been crucial. Integrating tools that provide up-to-date information on new
journal articles into courses using webCT is envisioned as an efficient way
of informing students enrolled in such courses. Since faculty involved will
be primarily responsible for selecting and linking new journal articles and
citations based on search queries, it is imperative that they will need to
get familiar with this concept and how to implement it in their courses.
This presentation illustrates how variety of RSS feeds and informative blogs
can be integrated into webCT courses using another tool called Bloglines.
EGMT581, Problems in Human Relations course offered in the Engineering
Management Department of the College of Engineering at Drexel, is currently
experimenting with bloglines to provide links in webCT to the new journal
articles related to the subjects covered in class. Collaboration with the
faculty member teaching EGMT581, the library and the students is another
facet that is highlighted. In addition to it, faculty members can assign
readings based on new journal articles by providing their links into their
webCT courses. It is our belief that efficient use of these current
awareness tools will help our faculty and students in keeping informed with
new research as it unfolds worldwide and in the process learn how it is
relevant to what they are experiencing in the courses using WebCT.
 Using Blog: we created an entry for our Bionanotechnology class:
http://englibrary.blogspot.com/2005/06/bionanotechnology-bmes460bmes480-new.html
 For Body Synthetic class;
http://englibrary.blogspot.com/2005/06/related-books-and-databases-for.html
 ACM talk to Computer Science students
http://englibrary.blogspot.com/2005/06/acm-computer-society-talk-imporatnt.html
 Announcements of new services such as Encyclopedia Britannica providing RSS
feeds
http://englibrary.blogspot.com/2005/07/encyclopdia-britannica-online-daily.html
 Patents -pat2pdf new patent searching tool
http://englibrary.blogspot.com/2005/07/pat2pdf-free-patent-search-tool.html
 and many more.
 Please also refer to the recent entry on LISnews under "This week in
LibraryBlogland"
http://www.lisnews.com/
 Steven Bell has compiled some very useful sites on RSS feeds and blogging.
 "Steven Bell, the *Kept-Up Academic Librarian,*
points<http://keptup.typepad.com/academic/2005/08/students_look_a.html>to
a USA today article about college students using RSS for up-to-date
research. Ken Varnum ( *RSS4Lib)* says his library has a new
guide<http://blogs.fletcher.tufts.edu/rss4lib/archives/000820.html>to
using RSS for research alerts.
*misc.information*
points<http://blog.educause.edu/mpasiewicz/archive/2005/07/29/13220.aspx>to
links <http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/mtarchive/004281.html> about RSS and
blogging within the Academic/Research/Scientific community. Dave Mattson, of
the *Ten Thousand Year Blog,*
points<http://www.davidmattison.ca/wordpress/?p=1182>to a list of
Things You Can Do With RSS ("Basically, you can perform any
task with RSS that requires search or information retrieval from a server").
"
 In the fall term, we are planning to present this to our student
associations, classes and other faculty members. We are very very optimistic
that this will not only help in learning and teaching new information
sources and tools but increase in usage of our databases and circulation of
books since we will be announcing new acquistions through blogs from our
blogsites.
 Regards and best,
 Jay Bhatt
Information Services Librarian (Engineering)
Hagerty Library, Drexel University
TEL 215-895-1873
AOL IM jaybhatt59 YAHOO IM jay_bhatt_98
FAX 215-895-2070