[Web4lib] Solution of error message Invalid email address in reply-to field

Joan Graham jgraham at starklibrary.org
Wed Aug 3 16:03:57 EDT 2005

This is to thank the members of our wonderful list who responded to my problem with a form using formmail.asp. It turned out that long ago our system administrator (Who happens to be vacationing in London) added customizing lines at the beginning of the script. One line said

fromAddr =Request.Form ("email")

Our computer technician discovered this when we printed out the formmail.asp script from our server. Since I renamed the email field in the form itself to "email" the form works fine. I suppose the error message would have continued no matter what email address was input into the form. :)

In all the forms I made previous to this one, the email field in the form itself had been named "email" and when in the new form I used the field name "teacheremail" the script reacted by throwing the error message

Invalid email address in reply-to field

There was no replyTo field in my form. While trying to solve the dilemma, I added a replyTo field, and then tried adding replyToField, but nothing helped a bit.

Joan K. Graham, Webmaster/Trainer
Stark County District Library
715 Market Ave North
Canton Ohio 44702