[Web4lib] quicktime conversion for Windows for video blogging

Alnisa Allgood alnisa at nonprofit-tech.org
Mon Aug 1 13:55:12 EDT 2005

At 9:31 AM -0700 7/31/05, K.G. Schneider wrote:
>Yesterday at the BlogHer conference (http://www.blogher.org ) I had an
>opportunity to make a very brief Quicktime video of danah boyd, who is
>speaking at the LITA conference this fall. (You do not want to miss her
>talk!) I'd like to vblog (video blog) the recording (and yesterday I
>attended a session on vblogging, so am raring to go). I had previously
>modified my blog's RSS 2 feeds to support enclosures, since I have played
>with podcasting. However, I hit a small snag on the video compression. I use
>Windows XP, and I don't have a native Quicktime compression tool, as far as
>I know. Avid Free DV, recommended on
>http://freevlog.org/wordpress/index.php/category/tutorials/ , mystified me.
>Needless to say, Windows Movie Maker won't open Quicktime videos (and
>Quicktime Pro or iMovie won't open wmv files, as far as I know).
>
>Is there some free/open source tool for compressing Quicktime videos as-is
>for Web-related use, e.g. vblogging (I don't need to edit the file--a lucky
>first effort) or converting Quicktime to .wmv? I'm tempted to just bite the
>bullet and for $30 get Quicktime Pro 7, which apparently has an idiot-proof
>drop-down menu (when it comes to still and moving images, my patience is not
>infinite--EasyShare was made for me). But I felt a frisson of irritation at
>the Hatfields and the McCoys for putting barriers into something fairly
>basic.

I'm confused, is the video in Quicktime movie format already or in
some other format (.wmv)?  or is it just that the quicktime movie
needs to be compressed into a smaller version??

Anyway, if the file is a large quicktime file or in some other file
format (.avi, mpg, etc.  NOT wmv)  QuickTime Pro would be the easiest
and most reliable option.    I believe you can use either the Export
or the Save As menu option.  When the window pops-up select the
options button, and that will give you access to choosing items like
video size, frame rates, etc., etc.  There may even be an option to
choose to export for the web, but I forget.  I use iMovie a lot, and
that option is there.

If your trying to convert from wmv to quicktime, I can't be that helpful.

Alnisa