Alternative to VR

Jackie AlSaffar alsaffarj at bvu.edu
Tue Apr 26 17:28:43 EDT 2005

Hi all - -

After a year's worth of offering VR service, we are looking at
alternatives.  We are a bit disinfanchized with VR software, and the
investment of time/energy/money/training that goes along with it.   I
had a light-bulb moment the other day when 'window shopping' on the HP
web site.   I had put some things in my cart, and was continuing to
shop, when a window popped-up with a lady from HP inquiring whether I
needed some assistance.   It was cool.   I don't know what software they
employ, nor the functionality of it, but wouldn't it be neat if we could
eyeball the catalog and/or databases for activity, and (when it's
convenient for us), proactively push out a "noticed you are searching,
want some help?"  message!      Unlike VR, it wouldn't mean monitoring
endlessly, waiting for them to come to us.   Is anyone doing this, and,
if so, please comment on your experience, software employed, and
feedback from users.

Jackie AlSaffar
Reference Librarian / Centers Liaison
Buena Vista University Library