[WEB4LIB] learning objects

Bill Warters w.warters at wayne.edu
Tue Apr 26 12:52:03 EDT 2005

Sarah,
You probably should have a look at the Internet Scout Portal Toolkit if you
want to start with an open source turnkey repository. It is available at
http://scout.wisc.edu/Projects/SPT/  The Toolkit version is relatively
generic in it's utility and provides immediately available Open Archives
Initiative compatibility. The Scout Team also developed a somewhat more
complex and specialized version as part of a grant initiative called the
Collection Workflow Integration System (CWIS) that includes more focused
metadata for National Science program-related materials (you don't have to
use this feature...). My experience is limited to installing and customizing
both versions on a test server, but I was impressed with the ease of
installation and completeness of the interface and metatagging abilities.
Cheers,
Bill Warters

--
Bill Warters, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor (Research), Interdisciplinary Studies Program
w.warters at wayne.edu
http://www.campus-adr.org