[WEB4LIB] Technology Plan

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Tue Apr 5 16:37:12 EDT 2005

I have participated in several Tech Plan committees, both for my library and for our parent City govt, and the one thing I learned that I try never to forget is that 'form should follow function'.  By this I mean that you should figure out WHAT you want to do, FIRST, then figure out how the technology might follow and enhance that mission/plan/goal.

It's easy to say 'we'll need to update three of our servers in the next year', but it's better if you can say 'these three servers will need to be updated to handle additional storage/traffic of X amount resulting from project Y".  We found the plans were more likely to be approved and, more importantly, funded by the Powers when it came time.

As to a template, we didn't have one (they always think they're reinventing the wheel when they do these!).  However, make sure you give a 'snapshot' of the *current* situation, with usage information (X #of PC's for public use, X-thousand users per month, X logons per month, etc.).  Then when you talk about growth (and the resulting technology needs this will produce), there's a better sense of 'scope'.

Don't be afraid to put a 'wish list' on there.  "Possible expansion projects" or the like.  If you don't ask, you'll never get.  Just be very clear on what your absolute needs will be, then give a vision of what *could* be done, and WHY.  Be careful about making dream promises you can't fulfill, but make a point to shoot for larger, more complicated projects you think make sense for the organization.

Best of luck!
Louise

Louise E. Alcorn     --    Reference Technology Librarian
West Des Moines Public Library
4000 Mills Civic Pkwy
West Des Moines IA 50265
(515) 222-3573      louise.alcorn at wdm-ia.com
http://www.wdm.lib.ia.us

>>> "Timothy Daniels" <libtfd at langate.gsu.edu> 04/05/05 09:29AM >>>
Greetings,

Here at the Georgia State University Library we are in the early stages
of developing a technology plan.  Dose anyone have any advice or a
template they would like to share?