MindShift: Disruptive Scholarship Revisited

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Tue Apr 5 13:10:11 EDT 2005

Apologies for Cross-Posting

Colleagues/

If you have not yet made plans to attend the ACRL 12th National Conference in Minneapolis beginning later this week [ http://www.ala.org/acrlconftemplate1.html ], you still have time to do so!

In addition to many opportunities to Listen-and-Learn from a variety of pre-conferences, presentations and poster sessions

[ http://www.ala.org/ala/acrl/acrlevents/12thnatconf/acrlprogram/program.htm ],

you could be among the select few to attend MySession in which I will elaborate on my wiki-based vision/version of Scholarly Communication known as Disruptive Scholarship

[ http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0502/0003.html ]

Sooooo** Please mark you ConferenceCalendar:

Pair Two |
Saturday, April 9, 4:30 - 5:45 p.m.; 200AB

Quality Assurance in the Age of Author Self-Archiving. In the age of author self-archiving, there are forces, factors, and influences other than pending classical peer review that can assure the quality of scholarship before formal publication. Among these alternative approaches are institutional review, 'critical peer response', 'action learning', and Total Quality Scholarship. Gain an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of conventional peer review process and develop an awareness of current and emerging alternative models to traditional peer review.
Presenter(s): Gerry McKiernan, Iowa State University

[ http://www.ala.org/ala/acrl/acrlevents/12thnatconf/acrlprogram/contributedpapers/contributedpapers.htm ]

NOTE: The emphasis will be on EMERGING!

BTW: If you are unable to attend the entire session, please don't hesistate to stop by at the end  to offer to buy me a beer [:-)

Be Prepared For A MIND SHIFT !!!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian