learning objects

Sarah Graham sgraham at usyd.edu.au
Tue Apr 26 01:11:46 EDT 2005

I am part of a group at my library that is looking at developing a
database, or library, of learning objects.

Essentially we want to create a searchable repository for
educational/instructional materials created by librarians. In part this
repository would enable sharing of information and reduce the amount of
duplicated effort in the library. Learning objects might include handouts,
session plans, tutorials, web pages, etc.

I was wondering whether anyone else on this list has been involved in the
development or production of such a resource and would you be prepared to
share some information?

Specifically, I be interested your comments on the following:

* What technologies/software did you use?
* Did you hire an instructional designer? If so, were they a librarian?
* What standards did you use for describing objects (e.g. did you use a
particular metadata standard?)
* Is the library/database accessible by students/the public, or is a
resource restricted to staff/librarians?

Any other comments or information would be valuable.

Cheers,
Sarah

Sarah Graham
Faculty Liaison Librarian