USB memory

Brian Stubbs bstubbs at rci.rutgers.edu
Fri Apr 22 14:24:37 EDT 2005

    USB "thumb" drives are not only enjoying widespread adoption, people
are now beginning to use them for more than simple file transfer and
storage.  A story on Slashdot last month highlighted software that can
be run from a USB device.  This can be incredibly useful, but also has
some interesting considerations for places like libraries that offer
public computers for use.

-Software license issues.  Currently, most of the ultraportable
applications that I've seen are freeware/opensource, but eventually
questions will be raised about a program licensed for use on a single
computer, but installed on a thumbdrive and ported to different terminals.

-Unintended extra functionality for public computers.  In my own
library, the public terminals have no office software installed on them,
because they're intended to be used only for accessing the library
catalog and researching online.  Using software installed on a
thumbdrive, I can run alternate web browsers, play music or dvd's
(assuming the computers are equipped with CD-DVD drives), run an email
client, use office productivity software, ftp files, even run an
alternate operating system (several flavors of Linux).  The ability to
easily bypass the default settings and limitations of library public
computers could offer other possibilities for people inclined towards
mischief or criminal activity.

    I was pleasantly suprised at some of the different applications that
will run from a USB drive:

-OpenOffice (with no modification!  Just install to the USB drive)
-Portable Firefox, Portable Thunderbird, Portable NVU
-Miranda, Trillian and HydraIRC (for IRC and IM chat)
-Media Player Classic (will play just about any media file you can throw
at it, including DVD's)
-FileZilla(for FTP connections, file transfers)
-Putty suite (FTP, SSH, Telnet...for those of you who still love
command-line interface)

    Eventually, we may see a shift in computer usage where much of the
available software can be installed to flash memory devices, and
software licenses are issued per-person rather than per-computer. People
would simply carry most of their software with them in their pocket, and
use whatever computer is closest for convenience.  At the moment,
however, USB apps seem to be limited to techies, computer-savvy
hobbiests and gadgeteers.  Just thought that this growing trend might be
something to keep in mind, for library staff who are considering
allowing the use of USB memory on their public computers.

Original Slashdot article:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/21/2220255&tid=185&tid=198&tid=184

Jeremy Wegstaff's LooseWire blog entry about usb apps (includes links to
many of the most useful apps, also be sure to read through the comments
at the bottom of the page for more suggestions):
http://loosewire.typepad.com/blog/2005/03/a_directory_of_.html

USBApps.com:
http://www.usbapps.com/

--